
I was busy, but it was good. This year has been a bit different so far.
After I returned from Strathcona Park Lodge, I decided to take September easy. I had been on the go since last September when I started the culinary program, and I wanted a break. I have been working part-time with Dutch Touch Cleaning Services, and that has been a really great way for me to unwind from the stress of cooking and earn just enough cash to keep the car running and do things that I want to do.

I told myself October would be different. I would get full-time work, move out of my parent's place, and figure out what I wanted to do when I grow up. That sort of thing.
Well, now its late October, and I still haven't got a full-time job (though I've been applying), moving out of my parent's place is just not gonna happen...but...BUT...
I may have figured out a career choice.
This is a big thing for me guys! ME, who has stared at her future with a bleak "I just don't know what to do" for so long. Even while cooking, I wasn't convinced I wanted it as a career.
Researching my Meyers-Briggs personality (INFP) didn't really help with its suggestions (teacher, writer, actor, etc) but it did highlight a few things that I thought, "Ya, that is important to me."
Helping people.
Improving lives.
Making a difference.
Other things I wanted to include:
Low-stress environment.
Working independently (not necessarily my own business, but just not having someone breath down my neck)
Not sitting at a desk all day.
Well, this week I was talking with my mom about jobs, and I don't even remember how it came up, but suddenly I was like, "Maybe I will become a massage therapist."
I said it as kind of a joke. I've thought about it before, when I was graduating highschool. Its been in the back of my mind forever, but then I would always think, "That means I would have to touch people that I don't know...eeeewwwww!"
That still kind of disturbs me, but I think once you are trained professionally its not a big deal.
All the pieces started to fit together.The whole natural healing thing appeals to me, and its such a diverse field, there would always be something new to learn and specialize in. It really fits in with my interests and values.
I looked it up, and there is a school of massage in Victoria that looks very good. Of course, the tuition kind of popped a blood vessel in my head...but if I work full-time this year and save every penny, I think I could pull it off. Maybe. I refuse to get another student loan. Ever.
Completing the first year will qualify me as a Spa Practioner, which basically means I would be your typical spa masseuse, trained to do hot rock, aromatherapy, reflexology, and all those lovely things.
If I chose to go on for the next two years, I would become a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT), and work in a medical setting, or specialize in sports-related massage.
It all sounds so intriguing! For the first time in a very long time, I am excited about the possibility of going back to school! I really think this is something I could "get into"!
Best of all...I won't have to talk to people (much)...and they will love me for it!
The Introvert in me is smiling really big.

6 comments:
Sounds awesome! I'm sure you'll make lots of friends that way. Ha.
Finding new things that inspire you is always exciting.
Yay Jill! Its sounds super cool and something that's right up your ally. WAHOOO for your new path!
Personally speaking, I have to say you have the strongest little hands of anyone I know... we all love your shoulder massages....ahhhhhhh... so I'm sure you will do GREAT!
If you need any test subjects give me a call. :)
Call me too!
And me!!!
With a skill set of cooking, cleaning and massage, watch out, young men will be lining up at your door.
Post a Comment